Since Donald Trump enacted the travel ban from seven majority Muslim countries last week, he’s spent most of his time on the defensive. That position got worse after Trump posted a fake news story on his Facebook timeline that was quickly debunked by the country of Kuwait, but not before the right-wing media ran with it as proof that Trump’s Muslim ban is cool, even in the Muslim world.
The article, which is still on Trump’s Facebook page, said that Kuwait enacted a similar ban to Trump’s.
Syrians, Iraqis, Iranians, Pakistanis and Afghans will not be able to obtain visit, tourism or trade Kuwaiti visas with the news coming one day after the US slapped its own restrictions on seven Muslim-majority countries.
Passport holders from the countries will not be allowed to enter the Gulf state while the blanket ban is in place and have been told not to apply to visas.
Trump’s post has more than 250,000 likes and nearly 70,000 shares. It was also shared by right-wing sites like Breitbart and Infowars. The only problem is, it didn’t happen.
The foreign ministry of the Middle Eastern country “categorically denies these claims and affirms that these reported nationalities … have big communities in Kuwait and enjoy full rights,” according to a Sunday morning report in Reuters.
The story shared by Trump had alleged that “Syrians, Iraqis, Iranians, Pakistanis and Afghans will not be able to obtain visit, tourism or trade Kuwaiti visas with the news coming one day after the US slapped its own restrictions on seven Muslim-majority countries.” The story in the Jordanian news outlet Al Bawaba did not have an official statement or order from the Kuwaiti government—nor from any of the countries it said were facing a ban.
Source: The Daily Beast
Of course, Trump hasn’t taken the story down, which shouldn’t be a surprise at all. The Trump administration is apparently far more comfortable with lies than they are the truth. If they told the truth, they’d lose the support of the majority of their followers.